Imagination and creativity are hallmarks of Karen's presentations and materials. She combines her enthusiasm and love of children into all her work.
Karen earned a BS degree in Elementary Education and Educational Media from Auburn University. Her master's degree in Storytelling and Reading from East Tennessee State University place her among a select few in the field of education.
Karen is the author of a series of seven books entitled Instant Library Lessons published by Upstart/Highsmith Publishers. These books provide grade specific lesson plans for Library Media Specialists teaching Kindergarten, First Grade, Second Grade, and/or Third Grade.
Karen's honors include being a National Endowment for the Humanities Scholar in Children's Fantasy Literature, Outstanding Young Educator (1989), Cable Television Teacher of the Year (1993-1994), Kappa Delta Pi Outstanding Young Educator (1996) and winner of the Tennessee Innovative Elementary Media program presented by the Tennessee Association of School Librarians (1997).
Karen's Client list includes:
- European Council for International Schools
- American Association of School Librarians, a division of the American Library Association
- Association of Childhood Education International
- National Association for the Education of Young Children
- SDE: Staff Development for Educators
- Alabama Department of Education Mega Conference
- University of Southern Mississippi Reading Conference
- Southwest Regional International Reading Association Conference
- Southeast Regional International Reading Association Conference
- Plains Reading International Reading Association Conference
- Kentucky Library Association/Kentucky School Media Association Joint Conference
- Arkansas Association of Instructional Media
For more detailed information about Karen's services and materials, contact her by phone, FAX, or mail (snail or e-mail). You can request Karen's brochure and full service catalog to assist you in planning for your educational needs.